Opened: 13th December, 1849.
Closed: 7th October, 1968.
This was the western terminus of the Dunfermline Branch of the Edinburgh & Northern Railway. The railway was extended westwards from here to Alloa and Stirling a short time later by the Stirling & Dunfermline Railway, which opened on 28th August, 1850. Dunfermline Upper Station consisted of two through platforms, a bypass line behind the 'up' platform and a bay platform at the west end of the 'down' platform. There was also a large goods yard with a two-road goods shed, a number of sidings and some loading banks at the east end of the station. The 'down' platform building was built in stone and had an extensive canopy with wooden ends and a glass roof. The 'up' platform buildings were built in timber and had a timber canopy.
Ex LMSR Class 4 2-6-4T No. 42690 departs from Dunfermline (Upper) Station. [Real Photographs] ( Collapse )